If you’ve up to date your PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11, you’ll have seen that once you click on on a hyperlink for a web site, a PDF doc, or a wide range of different file varieties, you’ll now be despatched to Microsoft’s Edge browser. In its new model of Windows, Microsoft appears to have grow to be particularly aggressive in pushing its personal apps over the apps that had been put in as defaults earlier than the improve. In different phrases, Edge abruptly turned your default browser.
Normally, the primary time you go into one other browser that isn’t Edge — say, Google Chrome — the not-Edge browser will ask in case you’d prefer to make it the default as a substitute. However, the method for altering your defaults in Windows 11 has grow to be extra sophisticated than it was in Windows 10. So you could not get that useful request — or in case you do, it might land you on a complicated-looking web page headed “App> Default apps.” Either manner, right here’s tips on how to change.
Switch default browsers
If you don’t need Edge to be your default browser, and your favourite browser isn’t providing to make the change for you — or if it did supply however as a substitute despatched you to the “Default apps” web page — right here’s tips on how to change the default. For this instance, I’m utilizing Google Chrome, however this could work with any browser that you’ve put in in your system.
- Select Settings> Apps> Default apps
- Under “Set defaults for purposes,” both scroll all the way down to the place your most popular browser is listed or kind the title within the “Search apps” area. Click on the app.
- You’ll see a listing of browser-related information, and below every file title, the app with which it’s at present related. In Windows 11, you’ll be able to’t merely change your default browser with a single click on — you need to change the assigned browser for each particular file kind.
- Look for the file varieties assigned to Edge, resembling .HTM, .HTML, HTTP, HTTPS, and maybe .PDF (except you have got a PDF reader you like). Click on those you wish to change.
- You might get a “Before you turn” pop-up urging you to strive Microsoft Edge — go forward and click on on “Switch anyway.” You’ll get a pop-up with a “Keep utilizing this app” choice on prime and your different put in browsers under. Go forward and choose the one you wish to use. (Be conscious that there could also be some file varieties that gained’t supply your browser as a substitute.)
Note: by the point you learn this, some browsers might have instituted a system for letting you extra simply change your default browser. For instance, when this was written, the primary time I opened Firefox, it requested if I needed it to grow to be the default. I let it go forward, and once I went to the “Default apps” part of setup, I discovered that Firefox was now set because the default for .HTM, .HTML, .HTTP, and .HTTPS information. Edge was nonetheless listed for .PDF, .SHTML, .SVG, .XHT, and .XHTML information.
One thing more: in case you do open Edge for any cause, you’re going to get the anticipated pop-up urging you to return to “really useful browser settings.”
That gained’t resolve the whole lot
But wait — there’s extra. Even after you turn your browser default to one thing apart from Edge, you’re nonetheless going to get Edge because the favored browser for plenty of Windows apps. For instance, carry up Windows 11’s new Widget pane (by clicking on the Widgets icon in your taskbar, the one that appears like a two-paned window), and click on on one of many information gadgets that seem there — and the hyperlink will open Edge.
If you discover that irritating, there could also be an app for that. In order to open Edge-specific hyperlinks, you must do the next:
- Go to Settings> Apps> Default Apps.
- Scroll all the way down to the underside till you see “Choose defaults by hyperlink kind.”
- Click on that after which within the search field labeled “Set defaults for hyperlink varieties,” kind “Edge.”
- Under the label “Microsoft-Edge, you’ll see “Microsoft Edge.” Click on that, and also you’ll see some other browsers that you should use to open these specialised hyperlinks.
Interestingly, in case you set up Chrome or Firefox, you gained’t see them as selections. But in case you set up the Brave browser, you will see it as an possibility — and if you choose that, then everytime you click on on a information hyperlink within the Widget pane, it’ll come up in Brave.
Another chance is a software referred to as EdgeDeflector that was initially created to intercept any hyperlinks in Windows 10 that have been Edge-specific and rewrite them on the fly in order that they are often opened by the default net browser. I did somewhat looking and skim that its newest model, v220.127.116.11, would work with Windows 11.
I put in and adopted the instructions for setup. Unfortunately, whereas that labored for many hyperlinks, once I clicked on a hyperlink from the information sources within the Widgets pane, it didn’t fairly work — the hyperlink opened in Chrome, however not one of the graphics got here via. I’d regulate this app, although…
Update October eighth, 2021, 1:10PM ET: What occurs when some browsers supply to modify your defaults has been clarified.
Update October tenth, 2021, 10:30AM ET: Updated to incorporate instructions for permitting the Brave browser to open sure specialised Windows hyperlinks.