This story has been up to date from a earlier model.
Nick Saban has achieved nearly all the things there may be to attain as a university soccer coach.
Seven nationwide championships, 10 convention championships (one MAC, 9 SEC), an .884 profession successful proportion, 12-time nationwide coach of the 12 months honors and a bunch of player-related trivia that may make your entire College Football Hall of Fame envious.
But one stat particularly comes up extra typically than maybe the rest Saban has achieved: his document in opposition to former assistant coaches.
MORE: Nick Saban’s subsequent problem? Dominate NIL period with similar successful tradition
It’s a document that spans 12 seasons and has made victims of 9 former assistants who went on to change into head coaches at separate 10 groups. And Saban has overwhelmed each single certainly one of them — however one.
To make certain, it isn’t precisely a secret as to how Saban has achieved the feat. Just ask Ole Miss coach and Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, who has misplaced to Saban twice since leaving Tuscaloosa:
“He’s undefeated vs. virtually everyone,” Kiffin stated earlier than Ole Miss’ 2021 sport at Alabama (through the Clarion Ledger). “There’s a motive he is the perfect within the historical past of faculty soccer. Even when folks understand how his place works, he is nonetheless undefeated, which is superb.”
Kiffin actually is not flawed in his summation of Saban’s document in opposition to former assistants — particularly once you contextualize that string of victories. With that, Sporting News takes a have a look at his document vs. assistants, together with all-time document, margin of victory, collection histories and extra:
What is Nick Saban’s document vs. former assistants?
Saban boasts a 24-1 document in opposition to his former assistants, a streak that began in opposition to Tennessee coach Derek Dooley in 2010.
That victory formally ended on Oct. 9, 2021 when Jimbo Fisher’s unranked Aggies upset No. 1 Alabama in College Station, 41-38. It additionally broke Alabama’s streak of 100 straight wins vs. unranked opponents.
Saban nonetheless has an opportunity to enhance his document within the foreseeable future with Kiffin (Ole Miss) and Fisher teaching in opposition to Saban within the SEC West division. There’s additionally the likelihood he may meet Kirby Smart (Georgia) in both the common season or SEC championship sport.
MORE: How lengthy will Nick Saban coach Alabama? What contract extension means for school soccer
What former assistants have coached in opposition to Saban?
To date, 9 of Saban’s former assistants have coached in opposition to him: Dooley, Kiffin, Fisher, Smart, Mark Dantonio, Jeremy Pruitt, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain and Billy Napier. He has overwhelmed Fisher probably the most, 4 instances, teaching in opposition to him yearly since 2017. He has a 3-0 document in opposition to 5 assistants; a 2-0 document in opposition to Kiffin and Dantonio; and a 1-0 document in opposition to Napier.
Below is the place every of Saban’s earlier assistants served below him …
- Mark Dantonio: Defensive backs (Michigan State,1995-00)
- Jimbo Fisher: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (LSU, 2000-04)
- Derek Dooley: Tight ends (LSU, 2000-02); affiliate head coach/operating backs (LSU, 2003-04); tight ends (Miami Dolphins, 2005-06)
- Will Muschamp: Linebackers (LSU, 2001); defensive coordinator (LSU, 2002-04); affiliate head coach (Miami Dolphins, 2005)
- Kirby Smart: Defensive backs (LSU, 2004); safeties (Miami Dolphins, 2006); affiliate head coach/defensive backs (Alabama, 2007); defensive coordinator (Alabama, 2008-15)
- Jeremy Pruitt: Director of participant growth (Alabama, 2007-09); defensive backs (Alabama, 2010-12); defensive coordinator/linebackers (Alabama, 2016-17)
- Jim McElwain: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (Alabama, 2008-11)
- Billy Napier: Analyst (Alabama, 2011); large receivers (Alabama, 2013-16)
- Lane Kiffin: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (Alabama, 2014-16)
… And his document in opposition to every of them (plus the place they coached in opposition to him):
|Coach||Team(s)||Record vs. Saban|
|Mark Dantonio||Michigan State||0-2|
|Jimbo Fisher||Florida State (0-1), Texas A&M (1-3)||1-4|
|Will Muschamp||Florida (0-2), South Carolina (0-1)||0-3|
|Jim McElwain||Colorado State (0-1), Florida (0-2)||0-3|
|Lane Kiffin||Ole Miss||0-2|
MORE: Nick Saban’s respect for Bear Bryant extends past nationwide championship document
Nick Saban’s margin of victory vs. former assistants
Saban boasts a mean margin of victory of 24. factors per sport in opposition to his former assistants — a 1,060-459 level benefit throughout 25 earlier matchups.
Saban has scored probably the most factors in opposition to Fisher (206), and surrendered the fewest to Dantonio (seven). He has the best common margin of victory in opposition to Napier (42 factors per sport) and the best level differential in opposition to Dooley (93 factors):
|Coach||Point differential||Margin of victory|
|Mark Dantonio||87-7 (plus-80)||40 factors per sport|
|Jimbo Fisher||206-127 (plus-79)||15.8 factors per sport|
|Derek Dooley||122-29 (plus-93)||31 factors per sport|
|Will Muschamp||127-54 (plus-73)||24.3 factors per sport|
|Kirby Smart||102-75 (plus-27)||9 factors per sport|
|Jeremy Pruitt||141-51 (plus-90)||30 factors per sport|
|Jim McElwain||114-37 (plus-77)||25.6 factors per sport|
|Billy Napier||56-14 (plus-42)||42 factors per sport|
|Lane Kiffin||105-69 (plus-36)||18 factors per sport|
Which assistant has come closest to beating Nick Saban?
Fisher, contemplating he is the one one to get a win in opposition to his former coach. It was his first time in 5 tries and the primary in 4 tries as coach of Texas A&M.
Honorable point out goes to Kiffin, who gave Saban all he may deal with in a 63-48 loss in Oxford, Miss. in 2020. Special consideration must also be given to McElwain, who coached his Gators to a 29-15 loss within the 2015 SEC championship sport.
Smart has additionally practically defeated Saban, taking him to the brink within the 2018 College Football Playoff championship sport. Georgia jumped out to a 13-0 halftime lead, then a 20-7 third-quarter lead, earlier than finally shedding 26-23 in extra time. The Bulldogs misplaced a equally shut sport later that calendar 12 months within the SEC championship sport, taking a 21-7 lead within the second quarter — then a 28-14 lead within the third quarter — earlier than falling 35-28.
In 2020, Georgia took a 24-17 lead over Alabama in Tuscaloosa that diminished to 24-20 at halftime. The Bulldogs maintained that lead till the 4-minute mark of the third quarter, when Mac Jones threw a 90-yard landing to Jaylen Waddle to completely put Alabama forward within the 41-27 win. Smart has additionally restricted Saban to the bottom margin of victory: 9 factors per sport.
MORE: All-time Nick Saban-coached group, from Tua Tagovailoa to DeVonta Smith
Nick Saban historical past vs. former assistants
Saban vs. Derek Dooley
- Oct. 23, 2010: No. 7 Alabama 41, Tennessee 10
- Oct. 22, 2011: No. 2 Alabama 37, Tennessee 6
- Oct. 20, 2012: No. 1 Alabama 44, Tennessee 13
Saban vs. Jim McElwain
- Sept. 21, 2013: No. 1 Alabama 31, Colorado State 6
- Dec. 5, 2015: No. 2 Alabama 29, No. 18 Florida 15 (SEC championship)
- Dec. 3, 2016: No. 1 Alabama 54, No. 15 Florida 16 (SEC championship)
Saban vs. Mark Dantonio
- Jan. 1, 2011: No. 15 Alabama 49, No. 7 Michigan State 7 (2011 Capital One Bowl)
- Dec. 31, 2015: No. 2 Alabama 38, No. 3 Michigan State 0 (2015 Cotton Bowl semifinal)
Saban vs. Will Muschamp
- Oct. 1, 2011: No. 3 Alabama 38, No. 12 Florida 10
- Sept. 20, 2014: No. 3 Alabama 42, Florida 21
- Sept. 14, 2019: No. 2 Alabama 47, South Carolina 23
Saban vs. Jimbo Fisher
- Sept. 2, 2017: No. 1 Alabama 24, No. 3 Florida State 7
- Sept. 22, 2018: No. 1 Alabama 45, No. 22 Texas A&M 23
- Oct. 12, 2019: No. 1 Alabama 47, No. 24 Texas A&M 28
- Oct. 3, 2020: No. 2 Alabama 52, No. 13 Texas A&M 24
- Oct. 9, 2021: Texas A&M 41, No. 1 Alabama 38
Saban vs. Kirby Smart
Jan. 8, 2018: No. 4 Alabama 26, No. 3 Georgia 23 (extra time) (College Football Playoff championship)
Dec. 1, 2018: No. 1 Alabama 35, No. 4 Georgia 28 (SEC championship)
Oct. 17, 2020: No. 2 Alabama 41, No. 3 Georgia 24
Saban vs. Jeremy Pruitt
Oct. 20, 2018: No. 1 Alabama 58, Tennessee 21
Oct. 19, 2019: No. 1 Alabama 35, Tennessee 13
Oct. 24, 2020: No. 1 Alabama 48, Tennessee 17
Saban vs. Billy Napier
Sept. 29, 2018: No. 1 Alabama 56, Louisiana 14
Saban vs. Lane Kiffin
Oct. 10, 2020: No. 1 Alabama 63, Ole Miss 48
Oct. 2, 2021: No. 1 Alabama 42, No. 12 Ole Miss 21