Health & Medical

Boy dies from brain-eating amoeba discovered at Texas splash pad

A toddler has died after being contaminated with a uncommon brain-eating amoeba that was discovered at a Texas splash pad he had visited, and a evaluation found lapses in water-quality testing at a number of parks, officers stated Monday.

Officials in Arlington, situated between Dallas and Fort Worth, stated town and Tarrant County Public Health have been notified on Sept. 5 {that a} baby had been hospitalized with main amebic meningoencephalitis, a uncommon and infrequently deadly an infection attributable to the naegleria fowleri ameba. The boy, who was not recognized by officers, died on the hospital on Sept. 11.

After studying of the kid’s sickness, well being officers started investigating and closed all the metropolis’s public splash pads. City officers stated the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the presence of the ameba in water samples from the Don Misenhimer Park splash pad on Friday.

A evaluation “recognized gaps in our every day inspection program,” Deputy City Manager Lemuel Randolph stated. “Those gaps resulted in us not assembly our upkeep requirements at our splash pads.”

City officers say data from two of the 4 splash pads—at Don Misenhimer Park and the Beacon Recreation Center—present Parks and Recreation staff did not persistently file, or in some circumstances didn’t conduct, the water high quality testing that is required previous to the amenities opening every day.

City officers say a evaluation of inspection logs on the Don Misenhimer splash pad discovered water chlorination readings weren’t documented on two of the three dates that the kid was there in late August and early September.

City officers say Arlington’s consuming water provide was not affected, and that the splash pad is provided with a backflow prevention machine designed to isolate its water from town’s water distribution system.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri infections are uncommon, with simply 34 reported within the U.S. from 2010 to 2019. People are contaminated when water containing the ameba enters the physique by way of the nostril, normally when folks go swimming or diving in lakes and rivers.



© 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This materials might not be printed, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out permission.

Citation:
Boy dies from brain-eating amoeba discovered at Texas splash pad (2021, September 28)
retrieved 28 September 2021
from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-09-boy-dies-brain-eating-amoeba-texas.html

This doc is topic to copyright. Apart from any honest dealing for the aim of personal examine or analysis, no
half could also be reproduced with out the written permission. The content material is supplied for data functions solely.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button